Re: Batteries

>Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:12:28 -0500 (EST)
>From: cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees)
>Subject: battery
>
>Binders,
>   Ugly has been giving me some problems this week starting. In the
>morning when cold he just about starts, kinda a ruunnfff then grabs. If
>I plug in the  heater he isn't so bad. Then Monday he was dead and I had
>to jump him, but; he started at work, howbeit it was a rather weak turn
>over. Then yesterday it was warm and I had no problems. BUT, today when
>I got up to go to work the battery was DEAD. Even the radio stations
>were erased. So after jumping him, he started right up, but; had no
>charge on the ammeter. This afternoon after work, same thing, the radio
>clock and presets were erased and I had to get a jump to come home. Now,
>all the way to work in the morning I had the lights on and radio and fan
>blower with no noticeable discharge of the battery, therefore; I assume
>the truck was running off the alternator. Otherwise the lights would
>have been getting noticeable dimmer all the way to work. So I stopped and
>bought a battery at NAPA today. I bolted it up and turned the key and
>Ugly VROOMED to a start. I'm going to go out now and try him again, but;
>I think it was just the battery going bad.
>   What bothers me most, however; is the rapidity that the battery went
>bad. This happened in under a month with very little warning.

Dan,
Feel lucky mine died couple weeks ago without any warning what so ever.
I was about to go out one Sat for my usually night of cocktails...
So I ended up taking a cab to the "Exit" instead.. oh well...
next morning a jump started her right up.. made it to the part's store..
and no problems ever since.. but it was scary that it could have happened in
the middle of nowhere.

Jeff Bade
Chicago, IL
1980 Scout ][, 304, TF727, D300, 3" Body lift, 4" Spring lift,
33x12.5xr15 tires, 4 wheel disk, SS][ converted
http://binderbulletin.org/upload/JBScout.jpg