Re: Pulling a Trailer on Ice / Snow

<<Does anyone on the Digest have any experience pulling a loaded travel
trailer
on ice and snow?  If so, can you share any tips with me?>>
Some experience, some tips.
<<Obviously I'll allow for *huge* stopping distances and will drive at low
speeds when on ice.>>
The single biggest factors, you've already covered, drive slower, allow for
more stopping distance than you *need*.
<<. What causes a trailer to jack knife?  Is it the tow vehicle stopping
faster
than the trailer and then being pushed sideways by the trailer?>>
Sort of, jack knifes are commonly caused by the sheer weight of trailer to tow
unit, but could also be caused if the trailer were to somehow get on a slick
surface and the tow unit were on good ground, but in my experience it would be
hard to accomplish that with suck a small unit.
<<What do you do when you start to jack knife... ease off the brakes (if you
can) and turn into the skid like without a trailer?>>
Yep, straighten it out, anyway you can. Get the wheels rotating, not sliding.
<<What happens if the tires on the front trailer axle lock up?  The rear axle
is free to turn (no brakes) so won't that assist in preventing skidding of the
trailer?>>
Check the tension on the electric brakes and make sure they are set for the
proper weight and conditions.  Ever see someone move a horse trailer after
unloading the horses, the brakes almost always lock up since the load is gone.
A slick surface is the same kind of thing, the axle will lock up easier
because of less resistence, but probably won't be a problem unless it's really
slick (rain on ice) or turning a corner too fast, in which case you'd be
sliding anyway, keep it slow and pay attention and the trip will be
uneventful.
Brian '65 D1200 4x4 4.11 345 4bb' the "Taxi"