Re: MIG?

>I have got my mind set on a MIG welder but I am a little confused about
>options and power.
>I need a unit that I can work outside with and have read that a flux
>core MIG is the best for outside work but not as good as a gas shield
>for ease of use and quality of weld. Any input or a pointer toward a FAQ
>would be great.
>Most of the work I envision for now will be body and perhaps roll cage
>(once I hit my stride) type welding.
>I have done stick welding and would rather use something that was more
>forgiving.

The only reason I can think of that flux would be better outside would be
for wind.  A breeze can easily blow away the gas while your are welding.  Of
course you can take measures to minimize airflow where you're working (or
turn up the gas volume).  If you are planning on welding on body parts I'd
suggest going with gas since it is much easier to weld on sheet metal
without burning holes (not that it isn't still possible!) because it doesn't
create as much heat.  On my welder (Lincoln Weld Pak 100) I prefer flux core
when it comes to more heavy duty welding because you can get alot more heat
at the same setting.  But I suppose that isn't much of an issue if you get a
high powered welder.  Another thing that I've found from personal experience
is that it's almost impossible to weld upside down with gas.  Every once and
awhile I switch my welder between the gas setup and flux to better suit what
I'm welding (takes about 5 minutes).  As for quality of welds, I wouldn't
say gas give you a better weld.  It's definately cleaner (no slag) but I
think I can get a bead with flux core that looks just as good if not better
than a gas shielded weld.  But who knows, it could be just me...

Chad Urvig
North Dakota State University
http://chad.prentice-internet.com
ICQ: 7344962