Stainless Steel Fasteners ?

Afternoon Digesters,

I know this was discussed some time ago, but is there a FAQ, concerning which
fasteners are safe to use? My question in particular is this. I am replacing
the screws that hold tailgate latches to the body, and the hardtop to the
body, and body panels together, and because of rust in some of the areas (Can
you say moisture ? I knew you could.) When I went to the local hardware store
I picked up Stainless Steel fasteners. Is this good ? Bad ? Doesn't matter ?
What about metal to metal interaction. My initial thought is, SS is better.
So, if someone could point to me in the right direction or if we have any
Metalurgists on the digest, please speak up.

Oh and as long as I'm writng the wise and experienced members of the digest, I
have another question. I'm looking for a commuter vehicle, 85 miles per day,
so I can start fixing up my Scout. I already asked the Guru, Eldon, and he
gave me some good information and insight ( Thanks Eldon ! ). To the other
diesel Scout owners, what kind of MPG do you routinely get, and what's the
best and worst. After consideration of a Diesel Scout, and there are lots of
advantages, is the Isuzu Amigo, Suzuki Samasai, Mazda Miata, 67-69 Camaro and
it goes downhill from there. Any thoughts about these cars as well as any
other would be appreciated. You can contact me privately about the other cars.

TIA

STeve 74 Scout with the infamous 40 gallon tank