Re: Winch Plans and other ideas

>1) MileMarker 10,500 pound 2-speed Hydrylic winch.(Large cable)
>If I drownd the motor I plan on having a Chainsaw conversion that will >Tom
M. you should like the idea about running the compressor without

Here's a few thoughts...

I like the chainsaw idea... but I have to wonder how often you'll deep-six
your Scout and swamp it... and how much fun it'll be getting out the
chainsaw, disconnecting the belts, and running it along so you can winch
out... while your Scout's sitting in deep water/mud.

The MileMarker intrigues me somewhat... and your idea of a new pump is a
good one... heck, how about a PTO driven pump?

I have another idea for ya, John.

When you mount the Milemarker on your front bumper, make sure you have a
stout receiver hitch... and get a cradle mount electric winch... I'm
thinking the Ramsey REP8000, Permanent magnet motor... new for $400... it
won't pull forever like the MM, or even for long like a series wound motor,
but it has a low amp draw, low price, and probably doesn't weight a ton
(can't remember the weight figures)...

Put the REP in a cradle, and fab quick connects front and *rear* for the
winch leads... then, if you get swamped, you can always hook the REP up to
the front or back for self recovery...

Or... what if you blow a power steering hose?  Uh oh!  Or lose all the fluid
and have to cut the p/s belt and run w/o power steering?

As for other neat gadgets... I'm no drinker, but I'm told there's an adapter
out there that'll let a guy use a regular blender mixing pitcher, and an
impact wrench to spin it... some folks think this is the neatest idea... use
your on-board air to run the impact to run the blender to make.... on-board
Margaritas.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72, '77, '77, and '78 Scout IIs