Testing of alternators

My uncle gave me this tip the other night for testing alternators, because
I think mine is going bad as well as a few other peoples on the digest.
While the truck is running, take a screwdriver or some other long, slender
piece of metal, and hold it near the back of the alternator near the where
the shaft is on the backside.  If the shaft pulls the screwdriver towards
it by means of magnetic pull, the alt is good.

Dan Felix