Re: Scout 800 questions

John Fleck asked:
>I was wondering if anyone knows if a T-19 would fit in a Scout 800. Let me
explain...I am pretty sure it will as there is a T-18 non syncro 1st
4-speed in there now and a T-19 is the same case except the syncos include
1st gears as well. If someone who knows could confirm this then I think I
will swap a t-19 closed that I have to drill and tap for the dana 20
adapter in the 67 800.

Along thoes same line I have seen recent people converting to power
steering and would like to get a list of everything that is needed to make
this conversion possible in a Scout 800.<

John,

  I put a T19 in my '67 800.  No problem.  The '67 already had a Scout II 3
speed when I got it, so converting to the 4 speed was easy..

  I don't know what you mean about "drill and tap" for the Dana 20.  They
should bolt right up.  There might be a little grinding on the adaptor.  As
I remember, the grinding is to clear one of the idler gear shafts on the
T19.  You probably will also have to do some grinding on the twin stick
bracket of the transfer case,  the old transfer cases won't clear the T19.

  Why don't you save yourself a lot of trouble and put in a 727?  That's
what I finally ended up with after I got tired of the clunky shifting of
the T19.

  As to power steering, I think there's something in the FAQ about it.
Basically, the way I did mine was Scout II box & pump, column off a later
800 ('70 in my case).  Pump bracket off PU or  Travellal (FAQ tells which
years), I fabricated my own bracket cause I didn't know about the ones
that'd fit.  You need a couple of steering u-joints too.  Fairly simple
conversion.

Doug