I am not withholding info any longer (long)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Daniel Nees wrote:

> Ya know, while Dan has been withholding info on us, I've been able to
> gather that he has his "Sweet Machine" running and is slowly become a
> solid colr.
<snip>

Okay, I will take some time now that classes are over for the day, to tell
all the progress being made on the "Sweet Machine".

First off, let me describe it.  I bought the Scout on Febuary 28, 1997
(scary that I can remember that), from a guy that worked in the service
department at a local GM dealer.  I had a class with a kid that was
working there, and that is how I found out about it.

The week before I decided to buy it, the guys in the service department
decided to (as a joke) primer the whole thing.  That wouldn't have been so
bad, except they then took some spray paint and painted lines and swirls
and some flowers and smiley faces.  It was described to me a couple of
months ago as a "bad paint job by a 5 year-old".  I think it was
originally blue, and then red, and now it is partially the primer and
stripes, and partially red (sorta).  And on the tailgate, the words "Sweet
Machine", hence the name.  For a while, at least....

Since I bought that Scout, I have aquired 2 others, a '65 in very poor
shape (no engine, tranny, t/c, axles, top, or hood, just the body and
frame), and a '64 that rolls and came with the travel top and a half-cab.
All in all for the three I paid $300 for the '66, $50 for the '65 (plus a
trip to TN from IN, all in one day), and $120 for the '64.  Plus my
manuals from Binder Books.

I guess Dad was/is getting tired of having the Scout in the barn for so
long, so he gave me the ultimatum a couple of months ago to have the Scout
out of there, or he would do it himself.  So, I have decided to paint it,
so that it can sit outside with at least *some* dignity.

To date, I haven't done much on it mechanically.  One of the previous
owners works with Dad, but I haven't talked to him much about it.
Supposedly, the engine was rebuilt about 10k ago, so the engine *should*
be OK.  About all I have done is replace the pushrod cover gasket (it was
leaking like a sieve when running), rebuild the carb, and replace the
intake manifold gasket when I had to take the manifold off to replace the
pushrod cover gasket.  And put on a different flywheel cover.  And replace
a lug nut.  DPO somewhere along the line stuck in a regular bolt, but had
drilled a hole in the head, and stuck a piece of wire through the head to
hold the bolt.  Would have been time and probabaly money ahead to just go
and get one from the parts store.

I decided to paint it in the condition that it is in, with the hope of
gathering (slowly) body panels to replace the bad ones.  It pretty much
needs all of them.  And a wiring job.  That will be a mess.  The previous
owner that works with Dad re-wired everything, but all he had at the time
was red wire.  I would MUCH rather have the IH green wire with numbers.
Now that I have the manuals, it takes the guess work out of it.

Anyway, I am rambling.  Got your curiosty filled yet, Dan??

Dan Felix
already told you what I have, so don't ask!