Re: T'All with Chrysler 318???

John:

Over the years, I've seen a lot of IH's with Chrysler small blocks. I have
always assumed it was the "727" connection. i.e. People felt that IH
engines weren't "common" enough for cheap parts or aftermarket hop-ups
(true). Since there were lots of Chrysler small blocks around and there
were plenty of hi-po parts, and since IH used a "727" variant anyway, why
not install a Chrysler engine and tranny that would bolt to the D20 (I
assumed - never have seen it done - just lots of ads).

But, given what us IH types on this list now know about those IH engines, I
don't understand why anyone would want to do this. IH reliability/longevity
is way beyond a Chrysler 318 or 360.

Like I say, I've seen probably fifty ads for IHs with Chrysler small
blocks. That is easily ten to twelve times as many as I've seen with small
block Chevy's or any other engine. Hence, I've always assumed that a
Chrysler "727" probably uses the same output shaft as an IH and bolts
easily to the transfer case.

Does anyone know any other reason the Chrysler conversion is so common?

Tom H.