Re: Fit 33s? Photo sneak peak

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Tony Sobrito wrote:

> Nice pics Tom.

;)  thanks.

> I need to wack about 2" from the front of the rear fender area
> where it meets the bottom of the body (to fit obnoxiously large tires).
> I would appreciate yours or others comments on what this would do
> to the body strength wise. Someone recently mentioned the rear quarters
> would sag? Has anyone done major trimming here?

I cut too much from the *rear* of the rear wheel well on the passenger
side, including cutting the weld that holds the "fender" to the C-channel
bed support, and yes, the quarter panel sagged.. particularly with the
soft-top on.  The gap on the passenger side between the tailgate and
quarter grew very noticeably.

I'm not sure about the front area.. do you just need to remove the *lip*
(but not the actual wheel well)?  I think one could fairly safely hack
the fender lip and smooth everything right up to the actual wheel well
without causing too much structural weakness.

Maybe I'll look closer when I go back out to the garage in a bit..

-Tom