Carb "Water Valve" Help Request

Hello guys,
This is a bit off topic.  My Scout has at least one "water valve"
screwed into the intake manifold.  I have never really understood
what this does, why it is needed, etc....

But now...
last evening, I was working on a Mazda pickup, when I broke off one
of two plastic nipples on such a device.  Everything on this pickup
is expensive, but before I pay $$$$ for a new one (or spend countless
junkyard hours), I ask if anyone knows what these things do and, most
importantly, are they necessary.  The broken device is called a
"water valve" and apparently senses temperature of intake manifold
water.  There are two nipples coming from it: one goes to a fuel
vapor recovery carbon cannister (which I feel I could neglect/plug),
the other goes to a fitting at the base of the carb (I think this
enters the throat near the butterfly valve?).  And the device has a
small filtered vent to atmosphere.  It appears a small air flow can
be pressured through this device.

I have to screw something into the manifold water jacket hole.
Can I simply plug the carb fitting as well and ignore the device?
The truck is an '86 with a Nikki carb and all sorts of hangon stuff.
I was messing around with the carb to figure out why it dies at
idle.

If you feel this inappropriate or too long, please email me direct.
I will return to look this over today (Saturday) AM, so direct

Any help appreciated.  Really.  Mark