Re: Death Wish, was Truck Boxes and campers

In case you're not clear about my opinion of a 12' camper on your 1000C,
DO NOT even consider it further.

The 1000C was available with a 7' (not 7 1/2') box and an 8'  box.  The
7' was shortened to 6 1/2'  when the D-Line came out in 1969.  I believe
the wheelbases were 119" and 131", and your's would be the 119" which has
about 3' between the back of the cab and the rear axle where the CG of
the camper should fall. The GVW of the 1000C was 4200# standard, 5000#
with HD springs.  The truck weighs close to 4000#, leaving little legal
payload capacity.  The GVW may be stated on the VIN plate, but in any
case the rated payload is nowhere near 2000#.  Many 3/4 tons from the
mid-60's don't have that much capacity.

I doubt that the camper has 4' behind the box;more typical is a 10 1/2
foot camper which has 2 1/2 feet of overhang.  I would guesss that it
weighs at least 2000#, more with your gear loaded inside.

I have a 1975 IH Consumer Information--Camper Loading booklet that states
that the following IH trucks were not manufactured to carry slide-in
campers:
a)	All 150 (1/2 ton) Models
b)	200 4x4 with the 7,600 GVWR package
c)	Any truck with a cargo rating less than 500#.

The book also goes through several pages of calculations to determine the
acceptable range of location for the CG of the camper.  They do not even
discuss the short wheelbase models where the CG would fall well behind
the axle as a possibility.

While it is possible that you can haul 2000# of stone for short hauls
with your truck, that is much different than having that 2000# with a CG
that is 4' above the floor of the bed and behind the axle, combined with
a 90 square foot sail that you try to drive down the highway at 60 mph in
crosswinds with passing semi's, etc.  If you had the 8' box, 131"
wheelbase, and the HD springs, you might get away with an 8' slide in
camper even though it is not recommended.  You do see a lot of 1/2 tons
with this combination on the road.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 07:12:15 -0400 "Rick Lund-Pedersen"
<thing@domain.elided> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:37:34 EDT
>> From: n9ads@domain.elided (Howard R Pletcher)
>> Subject: Re: Camper
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:28:00 -0400 "Rick Lund-Pedersen"
>> <thing@domain.elided> writes:
>> >Is anyone interested in swapping a good 8 foot bonus load pickup box
for a
>> >good 7ft 6 bonus load box? I have a replacement longer box and I have
the
>> >short box truck.
>> >
>> >Am I risking any trouble if I put a camper recommended for a 3/4 ton
pickup
>> >on my 1/2 ton IHC?
>> >

>> The camper may sit in the back of your truck and go down the road, but
>> will it be safe?  We can't tell without more info.  How much does the
>> camper weigh? What is the GVW vs. the weight of your truck and the
>> camper?  What is the length of the camper and where is the center of
>> gravity for it?  Remember that your box and wheelbase are 6" shorter
than
>> one with a 8' box the camper is designed for and the weight may be too
>> far to the rear, especially if it's a 10' camper body.  The CG needs
>> be somewhere ahead of the rear axle so that you can load the front to
>> approximately it's rated weight.
>>
>> Also, you're probably running passenger car tires, not the LT tires
that
>> would be on a 3/4 ton which would not only have a higher weight
rating,
>> but would be stiffer and more stable.
>>
>> Bottom line is about the same as the discussion of towing heavy
trailers
>> with a Scout. It can be done, but you have to be cautious and don't
push
>> the envelope too far.
>>
>> Without the right answers to the questions above, I'd have to say
don't
>> do it.
>>
>> Howard Pletcher
>> Howteron Products Scout Parts

>As for the weight of the camper that is the big unknown, It has four
feet
>over the cab, eight feet in the box, and four feet overhang at the back,
>(that is what the guy said. THe camper is 600 dollars Canadian, but it
it 7
>hours away from me.
>
>I have a 304 V8 in my Pick up, so it is nose heavy to begin with . I am
not
>sure what the center of gravity would be like.
>
>THe tires I am running are very wide (275 60 R 15) I am not adverse to
>putting heavy LT tires just for camping.
>
>I guess my big question is, what is the weight of a 1000C and what is
the
>rated weight one can put in it? My first ownership said that the
>difference between the gross and net vehicle weights was 2000 lbs. Is
that
>correct?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]