RE: Torsion Bars, Truck Boxes, and campers

> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:37:34 EDT
> From: n9ads@domain.elided (Howard R Pletcher)
> Subject: Re: Camper
>
> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:28:00 -0400 "Rick Lund-Pedersen"
> <thing@domain.elided> writes:
> >Is anyone interested in swapping a good 8 foot bonus load pickup box for
> >good 7ft 6 bonus load box? I have a replacement longer box and I have
> the
> >short box truck.
> >
> >Am I risking any trouble if I put a camper recommended for a 3/4 ton
> pickup
> >on my 1/2 ton IHC?
> >
> >I have torsion bar type susension up front on my Pickup, I want to know
> if
> >it is safe to adjust the torsion bars to regain sagged height?
> >

> Yes, you should be able to adjust the torsion bars to raise the front
> end.
>
> The camper may sit in the back of your truck and go down the road, but
> will it be safe?  We can't tell without more info.  How much does the
> camper weigh? What is the GVW vs. the weight of your truck and the
> camper?  What is the length of the camper and where is the center of
> gravity for it?  Remember that your box and wheelbase are 6" shorter than
> one with a 8' box the camper is designed for and the weight may be too
> far to the rear, especially if it's a 10' camper body.  The CG needs to
> be somewhere ahead of the rear axle so that you can load the front to
> approximately it's rated weight.
>
> Also, you're probably running passenger car tires, not the LT tires that
> would be on a 3/4 ton which would not only have a higher weight rating,
> but would be stiffer and more stable.
>
> Bottom line is about the same as the discussion of towing heavy trailers
> with a Scout. It can be done, but you have to be cautious and don't push
> the envelope too far.
>
> Without the right answers to the questions above, I'd have to say don't
> do it.
>
> Howard Pletcher
> Howteron Products Scout Parts
As for the weight of the camper that is the big unknown, It has four feet
over the cab, eight feet in the box, and four feet overhang at the back,
(that is what the guy said. THe camper is 600 dollars Canadian, but it it 7
hours away from me.

I have a 304 V8 in my Pick up, so it is nose heavy to begin with . I am not
sure what the center of gravity would be like.

THe tires I am running are very wide (275 60 R 15) I am not adverse to
putting heavy LT tires just for camping.

I guess my big question is, what is the weight of a 1000C and what is the
rated weight one can put in it? My first ownership said that the difference
between the gross and net vehicle weights was 2000 lbs. Is that correct?

And Finally, does anyone know what the correct ride height is for my truck?
and how is it measured?