Re: ac removal

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Nathaniel `Diarmid' Campbell wrote:

> what steps do I need to take to remove the underdash air conditioning
> unit in my 1980 scout?

> Nate `Diarmid' Campbell
Hi Nate,
 First of all get the freon charge recovered by a professional.
On my 79 I started at the front and worked my way back.Remove grill to
make hose removal easier.After I removed the condenser,I got the hoses off
the compressor.I left the hoses going thru the fire wall connected to the
unit inside.Under the sealant on the hoses at the fire wall there is a
bracket to remove.Next I went and removed the vent under the dash.Do these
screws one at a time because the screws also hold the bottom of the dash
up, a screw driver from the bottom up worked for me.#3 phillipsBTW.I
separated the duct from the blower/evaperator unit.The blower/evaperator
is held on by two long screws thru the bracket on the bottom.I used a
drill gun to remove these because they were so long and I'm lazy<G>.When
you remove the duct be careful of the temp sensor and electrical wiring.

Then just remove the compressor from the bracket,pack it in a big box and
mail it to

Dennis Petterson
185 Manassas Dr
Manassas Park,Va