Rear End gear ratios

Hi all,

I just emailed and got a reply from a man near me, don't know if he is on
the list, but i figured I would ask the question anyway.

Here goes:
He has a 1973 Scout II, and needs a new rear end, says he wants(needs) 3.73
gear ratio, I have access to a 1973 Scout II parting out, so....are the
rear ends going to be the same? would the 4.11 or 4.10, whatever the other
one is work if they aren't the same? How can i tell without jacking up,
turning the gear, strobing out and counting? lol, or taking cover off and
counting gear teeth? what if the tag is missing?(likely to be the case)

Thanks for input, as always, feel free to email me directly.

Oh, before i foget, i got the new Timing gear set today, this weekend
should be fun!  that is what was wrong, vis-a-vie the rotor not turning in
my '76 Scout II, the camshaft gear had stripped 6-7 teeth right where it is
supposed to mesh with crankshaft gear!

Jim Coyle