Re: Towing

>hitch, the rear end only drops maybe 1/4" or even less.  Contrast that with
>the standard Scout factory springs, and you have an entirely different
>situation.  The problem is only compounded by flexy aftermarket springs.
>The suspension flex is only one aspect of the problem.  Add to that worn
>out steering components, a high center of gravity due to increased lift and
>taller off road tires, and you could have trailer towing hell.  Luckily my

>using it to tow a trailer, but I'm glad it all worked out in the end.  I
>shudder at the thought of having to park my Scout in order pull a trailer.

So, I guess I'm looking for a long-box 1310 Travelette.. with STIFF springs,
lots of low unsprung weight (Dana 70s anyone?), loads of power, lots of
weight, and a drop-hitch. :-)

Cut n' twist the front axle.

Plus, it'll be so long that on all but the widest 4x4 trails it'll be
cumbersome , so I won't be tempted to take the tow rig wheelin'.

OTOH, add a 12,000lbs PTO winch, on-board air and welder, and I'd have a
super recovery rig... tow the Scout to the trailhead, leave the 1310 behind,
and if need be, come back and fetch it to save my butt.

Hmmm... maybe convert that 1310 to spring-under... make an even better tow
rig... but I wonder if that thick spring pack would drag on the tround if I
made it spring-under?

;-)

-Tom