RE: Hard starting

Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided> writes:

>Then I'll go back and lean the idle mixture and lower the idle speed,
and
>figure out why it's starting hard now (seems, no matter what the choke
is
>set to, I must floor it, and just crank it over a few tries until it
>spins, and then catches after I release the key).

Hmm, I'm trying to figure out a hard starting problem that sounds
identical. I've got the Thermoquad carb on a 345. I bought the carb
rebuild kit ($31 + $6 brass float) and will attempt my first rebuild
starting today. Documenting with a digital camera for my reference -
anybody interested in pics/comments? Anyone have any dire warnings about
the process? There is a small seep of gas at the gasket and all of the
plugs were fouled as if running rich. The interior was very gunked and
black (the metal parts not just the black plastic) I've held off
installing the Jacobs ignition so as not to confuse myself more or mask
other symptoms. Drove my Honda for the first time in a month and it
seemed like it had a lot of power. That just doesn't seem right I-4 vs
V-8.

Matt

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.