Re: Brake problems

Hi Gang,

	I posted a note the other day and it came back for some reason.
Anyway, I think it was Mick that had the pull to one side when applying
the brakes, I experienced this once too and part of the problem was
the backing plate had grooves worn into it where the brake shoes rub. They
were deep enough that occasionaly the side of the shoe would catch in the
groove and cause un-equal brake pressure and pull me to one side. I had
the grooves welded in and ground smooth and it fixed that problem. Another
cause could be the wheel cylinders, if they haven't been rebuilt in a
while and the fluid wasn't changed for a while the inner surface can get
rusted/ pitted and prevent the pistons in the wheel cylinder from moving
smoothly. The drill hones for this are somewhat inexpensive and clean up
the cylinder nicely. (just don't pull the drill trigger when the hone is
out of the cylinder, it's amazing how fast those stones can fly off)

	Brake pedal fade- I had this problem on my 800 too. I rebuilt the
master cylinder and cleaned it up and the problem went away. It could be a
leak in a wheel cylinder too, but I'd put my money on a mastercylinder.
	I also had an Axle seal leak oil into the front drum brakes on my
800, that was pretty exciting too.

Hope you can find the prob and fix it easily,

Mark
76 traveler

				Mark A. Pepe

University of Arizona					  Tucson, Arizona

			     mpepe@domain.elided

*Music Education Major*Tuba Player Extraordinaire*Concord Blue Devils Alum
*Sonora Desert Scouts Member *and much much more *blah blah blah*