Little 196 That Could (& Other Ramblings)

Hello Folks,
On my 196 engine, there is mounted a Holley #1940 carb ...errr, at
least I think that is the ID number ...but I ocasionally see a Holley
#1904 mentioned.  Have I juxtaposed my digits along the way or did
Holley make both carb types???  Again, any clues on eliminating the
nasty carb input brass valve sticking problem are appreciated!!!

Last night, I had to actually DRIVE the Scout ...a quarter mile of
restriced use gravel at dark going the wrong way on a hint of fuel
...pray it doesn't die as an opposing vehicle approaches ...got it to
start, backed to the road and it dies ...got it going again, almost
made the trip when I see headlights coming, goosed it and cleared the
road in the nick of time ...before a new Dodge/Cummins rolled by.
That little 196 came through when the odds were against it.

Getting to be a damn nice time of year around here!
Mark