Re: '76 Scout II woes...

When the truth serum kicked in, Jim <junglejim@domain.elided> blurted out...

>Questions:
>(a) on fan....how do i get it off???
>(b) is the big nut right or left hand threads?

Jim,

The large coupling nut is reverse threaded.  It's *easiest* to remove with a
what's called a "pump wrench."  This wrench is thin enough to fit between the
fan and the water pump.  The wrench is put on the nut and one good whack from
a mallet and the nut will usually spin free.  If the wrench handle is pointing
up, and you're facing the fan from the front of the truck, you want to turn
the handle to the right... just as if you normally be tightening it, but since
it's reverse threaded, you'll be loosening it.

You can order a pump wrench from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com)
562-692-5911.  It's their part number 5551A52 in a smooth black finish for
$15.88, or 5414A35 in chrome finish for $17.65.  The size is 1-7/8".  You
could make one yourself if you have the tools and materials.

>(c) does anyone know or suspect our suspicions on timing gears is correct?
>(d)how much are they, and where can i get some?
>(e) are the timing gears from a '73 with a 392 the same as the timing gears
>from a '76 with a 345?

Can't help you with any of the above... sorry.

Good luck,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke