Re: mysterious hot cut-out...

When the truth serum kicked in, "Neff, Matthew John - MBA"
<NEFMJ124@domain.elided> blurted out...

>So my questions are: has anyone experienced this type of thing with a
>Pertronix before? I've had the thing less than a year, and haven't heard any
>complaints from anyone else. And if it is the Pertronix, what should I do (I
>know I'll generate differing opinions here)?  What else could be the
>culprit?  I've got the points back in now, and have seen a considerable
>decrease in performance and economy as compared to the Pertronix. I've been
>thinking about having the distributor rebuilt, but I don't know if  I'll
>have to buy another Pertronix, so maybe I should bite the bullet and get a
>Mallory...Anyway, I don't know much about all of this ignition stuff, so I
>really appreciate any help you all can offer.  Thanks

Matt,

If you really suspect the Ignitor is guilty, call Pertronix and ship the thing
back.  Give them an opportunity to rigorously test it and likely they'll
replace it.  You'll only be out the postage one way and will have a new unit.
Their number is 800-827-3758 or 909-599-5955.

Quick question for you though... this Accell coil you have... what's the
resistance across the terminals?  Is it a points compatible coil (~1.5 Ohms or
higher) or is it the type with lower resistance?  Do you remember our big
discussion on this recently?  According to Pertronix, using a lower resistance
coil with their Ignitor is a no-no.  Just a thought.

Also, I've had my ignition cut out on me before (not the Ignitor... an MSD)
and it turned out to be a bad ground connection which was my fault.  Maybe
that's the only problem... a little dirty connection or a loose wire???

Good luck,

John

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke