RE: Walnut shells?

>From: "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Walnut Treatment [WAS: ATF Treatment]
>
>Actually John:
>
>The "walnut shell" treatment is prescribed for any internal combustion
>engine. Local gas stations used to offer this service. It was supposed
>clean up the cylinders, valves and heads. Now, with the commonality of
fuel
>injection, there is some sort of injector/cylinder cleaner they are
using.

>Tom H.

Tom,
Are you sure that wasn't Bon Ami instead of walnut shells?
John H.

        Hi all,

        I've been around a lot of jet engines and while
        I've heard about the walnut shell treatment, I
        have never seen it or talked to anyone who has
        actually "seen" it or been in the presence of this
        treatment.

        I've always placed the walnut shell story
        in the "urban legend" status of mechanical
        folk lore.

        That does not mean that it has never been
        done, just that I've never seen it.

        I have seen jewlers rouge used on running
        turbines to clean out compressors and ignition
        cans though.

        Take care all.

        Tom Francis (tomf@domain.elided)
        S. Woodstock, CT