Re: anti-sieze & lug nuts

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Richard Welty
<rwelty@domain.elided> blurted out:

>At 08:32 PM 9/30/98 GMT, Bob Blair wrote:
>>Do you adjust the torque setting when using anti-sieze?  I always though the
>>torque specs are given 'dry', and don't know how/whether to compensate.
>
>well, when doing lug nuts, i pretty much torqued to 70lbs, which is for
>most cars about the "right" value (some weird cars, such as some models
>from lotus, are finicky about this, and the number can be as low as 55lbs.)
>my lug nuts never came off on the track...

Yes I do use anti-seize lubricant on my Scout's lug nuts.  Like Richard, I
torque them to 70 foot pounds.  I never make any compensation for to my
torque settings when using said anti-sieze lubricant.  I'm just careful to
apply the torque smoothly and in several stages.  Without lubricating the
threads prior to torquing, you risk getting an uneven torque as the nuts
pop and grab... at least this has been my personal experience.

I guess needing lubricant on the threads wouldn't be so much of a concern
if your using nickel plated threads of something, where they're almost
"self-lubricating" so to speak.  But plain old steel fasteners and
especially stainless steel fasteners need it.

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |
Conservative Libertarian         |   1976 Red / White / Blue (and rust)
Life Member of the NRA           |  "Bicentennial" IHC Scout II Traveler
WA Arms Collectors               |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |            It's my hobby...
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  |       It's My wife's nightmare!