Re: Electrolysis

In a brilliant stroke of genius, Richard Welty
<rwelty@domain.elided> blurted out:

>At 04:43 PM 9/29/98 -0400, Daniel Nees wrote:
>>   Would using an anti-sieze cause the nuts to back off easily?
>
>shouldn't be a problem with a properly torqued fastener.
>
>i use anti-sieze regularly with lug nuts, on cars that see 100+mph on road
>courses, and have never, ever had a properly torqued nut back off.

I would agree with Richard.  Anti-seize lubricant is not designed to make a
nut turn easier per se.  It simply prevents the points of metal to metal
contact from galling and seizing fast.  Fasteners coated with anti-seize
lubricant and tightened to proper torque specs (with locking devices where
needed) will not loosen any faster than un coated ones.

Something to remember... the IH shop manual tells you to *lubricate* all
fasteners prior to torquing.  Since I like to use a lot of stainless
fasteners, I choose to use anti-seize lubricant in place of motor oil on
the fastener threads.

Regards,

John L.

jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |