Re: Dropped drive line

John:

I, too, have damaged yokes when I've broken a driveshaft of a U-joint.
More than once, I must say.  Fracturing a U-joint during a truck pull can
pull the U-bolts right through the holes in the yoke.  Or the loose end of
the driveshaft flailing around under there can simply "beat" the yoke to
death.  Similar deaths can be experienced during hard climbs while rock
crawling.

It's pretty important that the trunion bearing caps be uniformly supported
all the way around.  A yoke with a broken corner may *look* servicable, but
tightening of the U-bolts and the torque force of the driveshaft can easily
oval a bearing cap -- bringing on a swift and certain bearing failure.

Now you may say that you've heard of "several" such failures. <g>

Bill Thebert