Gas pedal question

On my Scout II (1974)  my gas pedal has a rubber grommet and a hole
under it, but the throttle cable runs through the fire wall not the hole
below...  Is this normal what am I missing?

Second question, with the installation of the sound proofing and carpet
my gas pedal does not have full deflection anymore.  there is enough
play in the wire and pedal to adjust it but I will have to crimp
something to the wire to pull it through the pedal further.  Does anyone
understand what I'm talking about?? its hard to describe.
below is my poor attempt at a gas pedal with the wire pulled through and
a spacer added
WHAT could I use as that spacer???

-----|==0

        \

Thanks
Ed Kraus 1974 Scout II, I-6, and a little project that has turned into a
evil beast!
ALSO, my computer monitor blew up friday poor scout that's $250 that
could have easily been used.