RE:Alternators

	IH, all

	All this alternator talk got me thinking about my '73 Scout II...
About a year ago, I traced a short to one of the wires connected to the
alternator terminals (the two tabs next to each other, not the main wire).
Having no idea what this wire was connected to (thanks to the sea of green
wires) I disconnected it and have been running it this way ever since, with
no shorting problems.

	Now, however, I have the exact problems described by a number of
folks (high rpm spike needed to goose the alternator).  So, my question is,
which terminal is the resistance wire attached to?  What exactly do these
two wires attached to the alternator go to?  My solution for now is a
smaller pulley, which is waiting for me at Napa, but I want to make sure
there isn't an easier fix and/or I'm not waiting for certain disaster by
running the Scout with that wire detached.  Thanks.

	Matt Neff
	Corvallis, OR