Re: Engine Compression Test Help?

     Mark,

     I believe the following is correct - any other digesters, feel free to
     chime in with corrections.

     Disconnect the coil wire from the distributor.  One cylinder at a
     time, remove the spark plug & thread in the fitting for the
     compression tester.  Turn the key and crank the engine a few times.
     Your compression reading should be on the dial.

     I was told yesterday (coincidence, huh?) by a coworker that to
     determine whether it's bad rings or bad valves causing compression
     loss, some engine oil (10W-40, etc. - just enough to coat the piston &
     get down on the sides) into the combustion chamber before running the
     compression check will temporarily seal up a bad compression ring.
     I've never checked it myself, so I can't say for sure if it'll
     actually work.  Remember that once you reinstall and run the engine,
     this oil will cause extra smoke.  Also, if you put too much oil in,
     you could possibly hydraulic the engine.

     Again - I've never actually tried this, so you might want to check
     with someone more experienced.  Either way, I hope this information is
     useful.  Good luck!

     Joe Costanzo
     '79 Scout II