Re: MUD up the @#$

A quick question on eliminating the well-known mud sactuaries that
inhabit the nooks and crannies of our Scout II undercarrages.  I have
always hated cleaning this muddy mess and finally I'm trying to create a
solution.  After a thorough cleaning, I brushed on two coats of
rubberized undercoating in all the areas outward from the frame. Using a
4x8ft sheet of 1/16" black ABS plastic I proceeded to measure, cut and
heat-fit pieces of the ABS to fit into the following areas: just behind
the front wheel well (in front of the body mount that always rusts out
on Scouts, completely inbetween the two wheel wells where the bedfloor
board is rib-reinforced, forward of the rear wheel well and behind the
rear wells) If I have some left over I will also try to shield the area
directly below the front parking lights. With a pair of sheetmetal
shears and a heat source (propane torch or heat gun), you can bend the
ABS and creat flange angles etc. I drilled and snap-riveted these
sheilds in place making sure that the ABS is 3-4" away from any exhaust.
So far it looks like it will work well to deflect mud spray and if some
moisture gets behind it, they are designed to allow it to funnel out at
low ends. Best of all a simple hose or spraywasher can easily blast all
these surfaces clearing all mud in a hurry.  I have not completed the
job yet (need to leave town on business for a while), but will let you
know how it field tests.

Rich Reinert
Tucson, AZ
Scout owner for 19 years:
"78" SSII 345/TF727/4"Triangles/3.73s/32"BFG MT/and Speedlined in&out