Re: Electrical Gizmos

From: tsm1@domain.elided (Tom Mandera)
Subject: Electrical Gizmos

When I start, the alt gauge doesn't move... I have to punch the throttle
once, then the alt gauge swings to charge until it makes up for the
starter
effort.  I'm curious why it takes this throttle spike to "wake up" the
alternator.. it'll then charge at idle *after* I hit the gas once.

Hey Tom,
I had the same thing with my previous scout.  I would check all the
electrical connectors, for corrosion and deterioration.  That spike
might be enough to overcome the bad connection.  This is what stranded
me last year on my way to the Nats (1997) the main 10 ga wire from the
alt through the bulkhead connector finally burned out, and broke.  Tough
to figure out at 3 am on the side of the road.  The system was all
stock, just old and heat soaked and brittle.  My alt showed the same
symtoms as you describe.  Might be worth checking out.

Epp

76 Terra - (This Side Up) or (Scoutanic) (custom body work, removable
drivers side mirror, recessed driver's side door handle)
4 wheel disc brakes, custom built and installed 392, dana 300, terra
roll bar, custom gauges, jacobs ignition, pertronix ignitor, preluber,
holley 4011 with K&N filter, custom air cleaner housing, etc, etc,
custom body work, removable drivers side mirror, shaved driver's side
door handle
Projects in the wings - twin stick dana 300, custom roll cage, lockers,
reverse shackles, buggy spring, 5 speed overdrive

74 Scout II - soon to start a frame up renovation and conversion to a
SSII
78 Traveler (parts is parts)
75 Travelall - soon to be Highway Hauler from H*ll
75 Travelall another one (parts)
"The end does not justify the means"