Crossflow vs Siamese

Can someone explain the pros and cons of crossflow engines (196) vs
other 4 cylinders with intake and exhaust siamesed on the same side.
Crossflow designs are easier to work on ...but is their an advantage
to keeping all the plumbing on one side?  Thanks!  mark

PS.  Recommend an acceptable hp target and differential ratio for
general Scout2 towing of a 1000 lb load.  My 196 must be shifted to
third for most hills and I question ever towing with this engine.
Mark