RE: Spring Lift

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Daniel Nees wrote:

>    NOW the questions. Tom M what is that silicon grease from NAPA
> called?

I don't know.. and it's out in the garage and I'm not going after it!
(well, unless I have to).

It's just a white tube of Silicone Lubricant.. ask the NAPA guys for it.

I don't know if it's required or not.. but it shouldn't hurt.  My Energy
Suspension bushings (for the frame side of the shackles) came with a
little bit, so I thought a lot would be better (to do the Skyjacker
bushings and everything else)

> which I hate (I have to talk to him about this). I need to torque my
> nuts up, but the book calls for 75-85 ft-lbs. That is really tight for
> the poly bushings isn't it? It squashes the shoulders down. Am I trying

NO NO NO NO!

The Spring U-bolts go to 80ft-lbs, that's right.

The SHACKLE bolts (and fixed end) should be 30ft-lbs according to the
Skyjacker instructions, but the technician I spoke to said 20 or 25ft-lbs
would be fine, and result in a softer ride and better articulation.. when
I loosened my bolts back up, the ride did improve.. but then the nuts
fell off!  (which is why I now have 1/2" longer fine thread bolts double
nutted).

Ideally, you want to just touch/rub the shoulders of those poly
bushings.  That's all you really need.  Don't over do it and pinch the
bushings like I did (a few times.. you'll do that once your first bolt
falls out on the trail.. just tighten them ALL up)

>    Now My last question. I had Triangle Spring make me new u-bolts. But
> instead of 1/2" bolt like stock I had them make me 5/8" bolts for the
> added strength. Now my spring brackets aren't drilled out for the 5/8"
> holes. I tryed to burn the bracket with a torch but it is very thick and
> my tip on the torch wouldn't direct enough heat to do it. Should I go
> buy a 5/8" drill bit and open the holes up, then?

That's probably one of the things I would try.  Or get a conical "file"
or grinding tip and use that to enlarge the hole a bit.

What kind of torch are you trying to use?  Oxy-acetelyne should do it w/o
a problem.. propane or mapp gas.. HAH.

Now that I'm a welder snob, I'd just use a cutting rod.. :-)

-Tom