Re: MECHANICAL VS ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS

Matt-

The only stupid question is the one not asked, or so I've been told.

You certainly can replace the mech pump with an electric. When the fuel pump
went out on an old J**p that I had I was able to walk to a Target store where
they had those cheap (about $20?) Purolator electric pumps. I spliced it into
the fuel line and zip tied it to the frame right next to where the mech pump
sat. It got me home and I put about another 1000 miles on it that way. I later
upgraded to a good Holley pump but now try to keep one of the cheap ones in
the spares box for emergencies.

However whenever I got down to about a quarter tank the carb no longer got
gas. This is the problem with electric pumps, they don't suck fuel, they push
fuel. For best results, they need to be mounted as low as possible and as
close to the fuel tank as possible.

Jeff