Re: midas traveler id?

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:45:21 PDT "John Langmaid" <bindernut@domain.elided>
writes:
>Supposed to go look at a 1980 traveler tomorrow night.  The owner says
>that it's got front swivel bucket seats, with rear captain's chairs,
>roof console with clock and map lites, all done in blue plaid
>upholstery.  This sounded like it might be a Midas conversion to me.  Is

>there any specific vin code or marking on the body that might verify
>this?  Apparently the owner doesn't have the line ticket, which I assume

>would show this.

This certainly sounds like the right stuff to be a Midas conversion.

There is not a positive identifier on the lineset that says "This is a
Midas (or CVI) vehicle" and definitely nothing in the VIN itself.  They
basically took a stock vehicle and added/replaced pieces to do their
conversions.  I did see a CVI conversion at the Nationals that had a
sticker on the back of the driver's door frame that identified it as
such.  I'm not sure if Midas did this or not, but you might look for
something like this.

I have found a couple codes that were used to provide appropriate
interiors to help with the conversions--they probably omitted most of the
standard interiors.  You can look for 108xx--Family Cruiser Packages,
16497--Sun Roof, Midas Cruiser, or 165xx--Upfitters Package  (there were
a number of individual codes for each color available where the xx is).
While I suspect there may be conversions out there without any of these
codes, the presence of them on a lineset would seem indicate that the
truck was headed for Midas or CVI.  I also seem to recall seeing some
linesets that indicated CVI in the area at the top of the lineset  where
the dealer or customer ordering the vehicle is sometimes indicated, but
again I wouldn't say this was on all of them.

Don't forget that a copy of the lineset was glued to the inside of the
glove box door in the later years;in the early 70's I think it was on the
panel under the rear edge of the hood, although it may no longer be
there.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]