Idle Problem/Question

I have had an idle problem from the start which would be about 1 1/2
years.
I have an I-6 258 AMC, which leaks some oil.  The problem is that after
running for a while it starts to chug when stopping at lights and stalls
or almost stalls when giving it gas to go again.  Does this sound like a
carb problem?  or a simple tune up.  I just put new plugs and wires on
and it still happens.  it also has occasional backfiring when you take
your foot off the gas on the highway, this I feel may be normal?

Anyone input would be helpful, I'm broke from the nationals, but I'll
starve myself to feed my truck parts if necessary.:)
Ed Kraus
1974 Scout II, I-6
by no means I'm I a mechanic, but my Scout intends to make me such!