Tom's fouled plug

Perhaps I actually have something worthwhile to contribute here.  I had the
exact same problem on a small block chev. motor once.  It turned out that
the intake valve umbrella seal on the offending cylinder was shot (read torn
to bits).

What happens under this scenario is that on the intake stroke oil gets
sucked down through the valve stem bore right onto the spark plug and it
fouls quickly.  The deposit looked like a hard grayish carbon deposit that
is very hard.  I replaced the valve stem with the head on the motor once,
but the problem returned almost immediately leading me to suspect a
defective valve stem or guide.  I put a new head on and that solved the
problem.

I am not yet familiar with the IH motor to the extend that I am the
Chevrolet, but I suspect the principles are the same.  Let us know what
happens, an I hope this helps Tom.

Ralph
Back to grinding the weld in the bore of my intake manifold out.  Wishing I
had a Shop Smith lathe and mill machine right about now.