Before you replace your rear mail seal

> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:25:31 GMT
> From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
> Subject: Re: John L. - Rear Main Seal
>
> In a brilliant stroke of genius, Mark A Pepe <mpepe@domain.elided> blurted
> out:
>
> >John, I was wondering about how  long it took you to install a new rear
> >main seal? I've been getting the itch to do it and get rid of that
> >occasional burning oil smell. Not to mention I hate getting under the
> >traveller with everything coated in oil. Rust protection is good, but in
> >Arizona there is usually more dust than water and dust sticks to oil.
> >Messy, Messy, Messy!

If I may make a suggestion based upon my own experience - check and change
your oil pan gasket before you change your rear main seal.

I had a leak in the appropriate place (even inside the bell housing) so I
hung the rear of my 345 from chains from two 2X4's nailed together perched
on the inner fender sill, and replaced the rear seal.

I further suggest purchasing bolts the same size as your bell housing
bolts - but long enough to cut the heads off bevel and slot - it makes
sliding the trans on and off the engine (keeps the trans weight from being
supported by the trans main shaft) much easier.

i.e. remove two bell housing bolts near the top - take a large
screwdriver and replace them by screwing in the slotted support
bolts.  Makes remounting the trans much much easier.  I know I said that
before, but believe me.

For removal of rear seal - I carefully drilled small holes in the seal
base and used a screw and slide hammer to jack the seal out.

Used a big socket to drive the seal back in.

But - when I dropped the pan to replace the side main seals - I discovered
that the leak was from the gasket at the rear of the oil pan.  I still
have the main side seals in a drawer.

Replaced the oil pan gasket, which fixed that leak, and went on to
something else.

Moral - replace your oil pan gasket before replacing your rear main seal.

Hope this helps

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided