Re: Internet Credibility and Impact

In a message dated 9/17/98 2:10:24 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jlandry@domain.elided writes:

<< Reapers,

 I've just discovered my Scout will run on plain tap water!  That's right...
 plain tap water.  If you fill your tank with water (no need to drain the
 existing gasoline first) and connect your battery positive terminal to the
 fuel level sending unit via a heavy cable, the resulting electron charge
 will liberate the hydrogen atoms in the water.  This yields free fuel that
 burns just like gasoline with on slight adjustments needed to your curb
 idle setting.

 This is a long silenced secret patent that's been suppressed by the oil
 companies... until now!  I read about it at www.gas-from-water.com

 John >>

That's the best response I've heard yet.  LOL.

Seriously...I can understand Rod's frustration.  However, bashing the Internet
to a group of customers, acquaintances and friends who have been brought
together because of and who share invaluable tips, tricks and most importantly
moral support through it, is not the way to drum up business.

These days one of the most important motivators for consumers is convenience.
That's one big reason why people patronize the likes of Pep Boys or Autozone
or any other chain.  They are open later than local or specialty shops and in
many cases they're just around the corner.   One way for smaller shops to
compete with this is through the Internet.  I don't know how many times we've
been looking for a particular thing, like tires for example, and have surfed
the web to find out who has what and what their prices are.  It can be done in
the evening, at our leisure.  Even better are the sites that offer online
ordering.  While I don't think we've ordered any truck parts online, I have
ordered many other things over the Internet. Again, it's convenient.

Jerry and I are fortunate enough to have a family-owned parts store nearby.
We use them most exclusively for routine stuff like brake parts, etc.  The
very few times when we've tried to get anything from a chain store, we've
nearly always been disappointed.  For highly specialized IH stuff (that we
don't happen to have sitting around in the back yard) we will certainly call
SSS or their counterparts.

Regardless of the forum, people have been spreading BS since the beginning of
time.  Some people don't know anything but have an opinion on everything, some
people don't know anything but have heard someone else talk about something so
they think they do, and some people are completely satisfied with half-ass
workmanship/parts/methods and think that everyone else will be too.  What
makes the Internet convenient also makes it a not always reliable source.  BS
spreads faster and further.  But there is also a lot of good information to be
had out there.  I certainly don't think that the Internet is a bad thing just
because it harbors both good and bad ideas.  (FWIW, I don't recall knowing
about GUS before finding it online....the Internet is promoting GUS in spite
of Rod's disdain for it.)  Whether you agree or not, the Internet isn't going
to go away.  The number of people online keeps growing, as does the online
commerce.  It would be unwise for small businesses to ignore this trend.

Just as in any situation, don't take someone else's advice as gospel unless
you KNOW they are indeed an expert on the subject.  When in doubt, get a
second, third, fourth opinion.  I think we're all smart enough to figure this
out for ourselves, and most of us are kind enough to assist the less
experienced ones sort the good stuff from the bad.

Stacey