Radiator & my progress

Thanks for the words regarding the 4 row core radiator.  I had the 4 row
core swapped into the OEM IH tanks yesterday and it is ready to be
installed.  I stuck the set of tanks that match the Chevy engine
configuration in the corner of the garage.

I now have to grind down the excess weld bead and smooth the overbore on my
304 intake manifold.  I bored it to 2 1/8" to accept the Holley Projection
system I have.  The penalty with this approach is that you must cut through
part of the exhaust gas crossover plenums to get a smooth bore all the way
down to the base.

I used 99% nickel rods for the welding.  According to Lincoln Electric no
pre-heat or post-heat is required.  You must peen each pass to stress
relieve the weld area though.  My neighbor was kind enough to give me a few
industrial "ripper" bits which will make short work of removing the excess
metal stock.  I can then use a die grinder and flapper wheel for the
finishing passes.

I decided to stick with the 304 motor that came in the '80 donor based on
feedback some of you gave me regarding the fuel mileage to motor sizes.  I
can't afford to buy or build a 392 right now.  The only decent used one I
found was $750.  I went through the 304 and found 130# + compression on all
cylinders.  I don't know if this good for an IH motor, but it tells me that
at least nothing is seriously out of whack in any one cylinder.  It started
and ran fine with no smoke or strange noises.

The only major piece of fabrication left is the mount for my R134A Sanden
air compressor.  I installed an Old Air products system in my Scout last
Summer.  It is almost a perfect match.  The evaporator and heater core fits
perfectly where the OEM AC evaporator fit.  The freon and hot water lines
line up perfectly with the air duct from the original heater.  You also free
up the space in the motor compartment by removing the OEM heater box. and
the fresh air duct on the inner fender can now be used a fresh air intake
for the motor.  Wish I knew about the digest and Binders then.  I would have
taken lots of photos and done a how to for everyone.  Old Air is here in
town, so they may let me still let me take some photos if it benefits them.

Well enough rambling on for now.  I will let you know what the progress is
again later.  BTW - the remainder of the 80 Scout must go (unfortunately us
suburbanites have very limited space).  As soon as I take inventory I will
post an ad on Binder Classifieds or E-mail me B4 then.  camrjp@domain.elided

Thanks for the indulgence and band width.

Ralph
1977Scout now with IH 304, T-19 & Dana 300
Dallas, TX