Detonation problems

I have a scout 80 with a 1971 4 cylinder 196E cid.  The thing keeps
sputtering after I turn it off and I cannot figure out why.  I have a
rebuilt carb recently installed, new fuel filter, new air filter,
adjusted timing correctly, new points, new distributor cap and rotor.

Any suggetions?  Also I noticed the 196E timing is TDC and idles at
700-725 rpm: where as the 196 is 4BTDC and idles at 450-500 rpm.  Should
I try the other timing mark? How will that do on gas performance?

Thanks for any help I may receive.

Matt