Alaska Ramblings

John said:
>I commend you for your good advice and also on the use of a Mac, but in

>my opinion, you gave one direction that can be improved.
Thank you!  I cannot disagree, please read on.

>the Alaskan Highway is the most boring 1000+ miles of road anywhere.
That would be continuos 1000 miles, I can think of a number of shorter
routes in Wyoming, Montana, and Nevada that would rival that designation
but yes it can be mind numbing.

>On the other hand, the Cassiar which gets you to the same place is one
of
>the most spectacular pieces of road anywhere in the world.
I was on part of the southern end of the Cassiar and it was stunning
(many years ago).

> My having driven to Alaska and back in three
>different International vehicles may be some kind of a record if you
>exclude truck drivers.
I think that is wonderful, I drove to Alaska once in a Travelet (we
called it a Goose) other trips were in a Ford 3 ton stock (cattle)
truck, Van of some make?, and Dodge crew cabs... would LOVE to make the
trip in my Scout.

> It got as far as the border with a Ruger revolver under the
>seat, but the revolver remained at the Canadian customs, and as far as
>know, may be there yet.
Canadian Customs agent in Victoria (or was it Vancouver?)  said he would
hold my Ruger until my return and he was good to his word, transaction
took place behind closed doors, no $ exchange, he was of the mind that
many of us are in regards to gun control.

>When we went up the first time, you could sleep in your vehicle in the
>ferry's car deck. Seemed like a great idea,
Fresh air up above and the heat lamps, open your eyes to that scenery
every morning... you could not force me to sleep down below, I even
loved the storms, but I was younger.... heck I still love storms.

>I think too, that at least once, a person should make the Dawson City
>Loop and see the Klondike area of the Yukon. Well worth seeing.
I will add it to the list of "got to do" trips.

Thanks John for dredging up some nice memories (did you ever jump rope
with 10 other folks on the back deck of the ferry?).

>Looking forward to your comments.
And I yours.

Willy
Ps. I wonder if the jump seat from a subaru brat would work in the back
of a Terra.

once I figure this new mail program out I will respond direct, until
then I will continue bore the other digesters.