Re: Water Injection

>John-
>
>Very sorry, but I am not aware of what a water injection system is.
>Please explain.  It is injecting water where?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Michael-the curious one!

Ah Michael,
The idea of the water injection is to get water or water vapor into the
combustion chamber where it cools off the combustion temperature, and I
suppose drags out the time of combustion, and in general makes the engine
smoother, quieter, and more powerful. It's like always being able to run
your engine in the rain, but you don't have to get wet. In my early years
of messing with the Fords, one way to get water into the motor was the
way I used, which was to drip water into a foam pad that fit inside the
air cleaner. It was very much like the evaporative coolers that we use so
much in California. The air coming through the foam was cooled off and it
also picked up droplets of water and carried them into the carb and down
into the combustion chambers where they helped prevent ping so you could
run more advanced timing, and in general made the engines substantially
more powerful.

The modern water injection is a computer controlled device that sprays a
mist down into the throat of the carburetor to accomplish the same goals.
Until a few years ago, Edelbrock was still making a water injection
device. I had one on my Scout and it worked very well. I removed it when
I put on my Holley Pro-jection because I thought at the time that I
didn't need it anymore. I should have kept it.

John H.

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
"Perhaps more to remember than ever really happened"
Life Member, National Rifle Ass.     California Rifle and Pistol Ass.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group and MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"