Re: Sunday adventure

John H. (King of the digest) wrote:

>We got about a half mile in with some pretty severe boulder climbing,
>especially for the unmodified Bronco, and all of a sudden, I couldn't
>turn my steering wheel and there was smoke pouring out from under the
>hood. The power steering hose which is about a year old had broken out of
>the crimped coupling. The only tool to loosen the power steering pump so
>that it wouldn't destroy itself pumping empty, was a 15 inch cresent
>wrench that I carry in the Terra for trailer ball changing. My traveling
>tool box was in the GC sitting at home.

Now I'm really worried <g>:
I boosted my power steering pump to help turn my 33/12.50's and detroit
locker. Now my Scout turns like a dream, but the hose is hard as a rock...I
mean really hard. So far my 19 year old hose hasn't blown. I looked at a
no-name hose at a discount store and decided to pass.  Any recommendations
on the best hose and where to get it?

>was raining buckets, which is very unusual in California this time of
>year and the power steering fluid kept blowing up from the hood opening
>and getting on the windshield. Imagine, if you will, your trusty Scout
>windshield wipers trying to deal with a mixture of oil and water in an
>almost blinding rain storm.  Lots of lessons to be learned from this
>experience, but I probably won't learn them. Can't teach an old dog
>........... etc.

A ex-girlfriend kept pouring antifreeze into the washer bottle...she said
the antifreeze was the same color as what it had in it before. Yes, she was
blond.

>Did you guys include power steering hoses in your list of emergency
>supplies that we worked on a month or two ago? I have never carried an
>extra, but probably will now.
>
>John H.

Good advice. When I get a new hose I'll keep the old one for a spare.

Darrel Kline
Colorado Springs, CO
1980 Scout