Max RPM

>Howard:
>
>Beleive it or not, I'm such a goody-two-shoes, that I have always been
>carefull not to exceed 4000 RPM in my Terra with a 304. I figured I was
>"cheating" the IH recommended max RPM by a small factor and I didn't
>want to risk some awfull valve train explosion or something.
>
>Based on your comments, I guess I can go out and run that puppy up to
>4400 like Tom M. does. Of course, the blooming thing screams (compared
>to say, my Honda with true OHC, a very much shorter stroke and a much
>lighter valve and crank train, that is only beginning to hit it's stride
>at 4400 RPM) at 4,000 like it can't go no faster.
>
>Tom H.

Sorry Digesters,
I hit the wrong button so send my last post without any message. Might be
the best one I've sent all morning.

What I wanted to say was that a long time ago, I read in an IHC manual in
which they recommended that the owner not exceed 80% of the maximum rpm
of the engine as rated by the manufacturer. Consequently, I've always run
my IHC's at lower maximum RPM's than most other drivers. I've almost
always had a tach, and I very seldom ever exceed 3800 RPM on any of my
345's. Maybe a bigger reason than the logic that I just tried to advance,
is the fact that they sound like they're screaming at 4000. Another
important reason is where the torque occurs in these V8's. When pulling a
trailer, my Scout and my former Travelall were very happy at 1800 RPM,
and the V8 in my Grand Cherokee is not happy at all going up hill with
the trailer at 1800 RPM.

Did you have a point to make, John?
No, I guess I really didn't, except I wanted everyone to think that I'm a
very logical driver, which I'm not.

John H.