Hand Winch

>Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:58:26 -0700
>From: Weidenheimer Allan P <weidenhe@domain.elided>
>Subject: Hand Winch?
>
>>I never observed any part of that ascent, but I have seen the hand
>>powered winch in action. It is so unbelievably powerful that I had no
>>idea a machine like that was around and in frequent use.
>Bill:
>Any idea what brand/model they have?  Is it one of those Avenir (SP?)
>types I see a small 2x2 ad for in the back of sever 4x4 mags?
>
>Allan Weidneheimer
>72 1210 pIckup

Allan,

Although your post is directed to Bill, I will assume it was meant for me
since I don't think Bill said anything about a hand winch. The largest
gear was maybe 2 feet in diameter, and the smallest gear, the one moved
by the lever was maybe 2 inches in diameter, but there may have been a
compounding gear system in between that I can't remember the
configuration for. Let's see, we would have a 12 to one mechanical
advantage if there was no compounding, and a 12 to 1 increase of the two
guys putting their weight on a 10 foot lever ......, maybe there was no
compounding. Don't know, and when I asked Wanda, she asked me why I
thought she would have cared enough to remember. Actually, she said she
didn't even know it was a winch, because she thought winches were on the
front of 4 Wheel Drives.

Because most of their (George and Rocky) stuff is old mining equipment, I
imagine this winch goes way back. Hardly applicable for storing in the
back of your 4 X 4, even your Travelall, Allan. However, it certainly
would get your Travelall anywhere you cared to pull it, if you cared to
pull it that bad.

John H.