Pertronix 4cyl

I didn't realize the 4cyl distributor was that different...

I offer up the single largest difference in my cursory looking-ats...

The distributor cap for the 4cyl is IDENTICAL to the V8 cap... but the
"4cyl" cap has 4 receptacles for plug wires, and 4 filled in plastic spots
where the other 4 plug wires go for a V8.

I bet you could put a V8 distributor cap on a 4cyl distributor, and install
every other spark plug wire, and go.  This might get around the 3 day
waiting period to get a 4cyl 'cap.

Thinking out load, this also says to me that if I put a Pertronix in there,
and the 4cyl cap, I'd still only get 4 sparks per revolution, which is what
I want anyhow...

Is it the distributor is run at 1/2 engine speed (since you have 2 revs of
the motor for a complete cycle).. so why *couldn't* this work?

OTOH, my '72 runs a V8 points, while the '77 196 has the Holley Goldbox.. so
it's not really a candidate for a Pertronix anyhow, but I'm making the
(perhaps wrong) assumption that the points 4cyl distributors are roughly the
same (using a V8 cap w/o 4 connectors)

I also noted Steve Larson (made a post this morning re: NWBRU photos) has a
write-up on modifications HE made to get a Pertronix in a 4cyl Scout... I
think it was about the same as you're suggestion, John.

-Tom