Re: Flecks cam issue

RE:
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 98 17:48:53 PST
From: jmbrodsky@domain.elided
Subject: Flecks cams...

Please explain how you can take a core cam and grind it so that the lift goes
from .241 to .252.  If it's an old cam then it's prolly worn less than .241
and
you have to ADD metal to make .252.  Fleck do they do this?

     -Joel Brodsky
ANSWER:
Joel you bet they do!!  There is a huge market for building up and
remaching stuff. There are several processes they use.

1) There is a torch setup for an OXY/ACTELENE torch called a powder torch
and as you heat it places powered metal before the flame and as the flame
passes ovewr it it heats and bvonds it causing the area to be built up.

2) Similar to #1 but uses a laser to heat and bond the powdered metal. The
shipyards use this alot to build up $50,000 props on the Large Naval Boats.
Saves $$$$

(I had a buddie who was 21 and was considered the best welder at PSNS naval
shipyard in Bremerton Washington. The old guys that were welders for 30-40
years looked up to him. He was one of two people who actually knew how to
use the electron Beam $500,000 welder on the Bases (Keyport and Bangor).
This guy tig welds  and turns out work that looks like a computer CNC
machine welder did the job) Anyhow He and me were in the same Skill center
programms together and I learned like he did but did not pursue the welding
job like him. He has taught me many tricks and processes of welding (from
his Nuclear Training on the military bases) that take years to Master.

3) Electron beam processes (too technical to go into)

4) Finaly the 4th way I am aware is by good old padding with an arc welder.
They use this to "Hard face" buldozers and heavy equipment alot to increase
the longevity of the wearable parts. I have seen shafts built up and then
remachined and reheat treated to good as new.

Sorry for the length but I hope it was informative

Fleckster
Back Country Binders

                               John L. Fleck
			      "The Fleckster"
                            BACK COUNTRY BINDERS:
                1225 N.E. Mcgee Way Pullman, WA. 99163
                             Phone# 509 332-7565
	               E-MAIL jlfleck@domain.elided
                 http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~jlfleck/BCB.html
               http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~jlfleck/Scout.html

 For fabrication of your ideas, and speciality scout parts(Stainless,
 Aluminum,  steel...etc)