Re: Flecks cams...

----------
> From: jmbrodsky@domain.elided
> To: ihc-digest@domain.elided; ihc@domain.elided
> Subject: Flecks cams...
> Date: Thursday, September 03, 1998 7:48 PM
>
> Please explain how you can take a core cam and grind it so that the lift
goes
> from .241 to .252.  If it's an old cam then it's prolly worn less than
.241 and
> you have to ADD metal to make .252.  Fleck do they do this?

 Joel:

"242" and "251" are *duration* figures expressed in degrees (whole numbers
-- not "thousandths").  Though I don't have precise specifications at my
fingertips, total "lift" is generaly about double the numbers in your post.

And as odd as it sounds, one actually *can* increase the lift when
regrinding a used cam by making the "base circle" of the lobes smaller.
One can decrease this base circle by the same amount as one mills the
heads, and have no detrimental effect on the "minimum" lift or valve
closing.  Grind the highest part of the lobes any LESS than this amount,
and you've increased net lift.

Spitfire Engines here in Denver did the camshaft for the 350 HP V-304 that
John Comer built for the USA Motorsports Pro Arena Series races last year.
The fellow there re-"Parkerizes" the camshafts after regrinding.

Details of this procedure were in the January 1998 Binder Bulletin.

Regards,

Bill Thebert