Weatherstripping, LR, MSD

Brent_Fleniken@domain.elided wrote:

>  I just can't seem to comprehend paying 1/5
> of the price I paid for traveler for new door seals from a specialty
> dealer!  Thanks a bunch!

Brent, I've bought quite a few items from Giddem Up Scout (esp since
they are only 20 minutes from my house), and after checking prices
elsewhere, I have found that they have consistently low prices, and a
low markup.  Ex: I just bought warn premium hubs for my scout for
$110 a pair - which would be a good price anywhere (although they
recommended the Superwinch hubs for $70 a pair, since they had
only gotten three warranty returns in 7 (?) years, and one of them
they warrantied even though it was due to abuse).  Of course,
they don't have the volumes and big discounts that somebody like
Pep Boys has, so they, like the other Scout dealers, stick mainly to
niche parts.

I have no relationship with them, other than being a customer who
being a well-treated customer.

On driving a scout 60 miles or more a day.  Hmmm, I'm doing exactly
that right now!  I'm driving about 130 miles a day, many of those miles
are at 75 mph on the freeway.  The only reliability issues I've run into
are standard vehicle repair issues:  I may have a bad starter, and I
had to replace my hubs.  Other than that, I plan to put about 10,000
miles on it in the next 4 months without worry.  Of course, there are
two other items:
    1.  Fuel Economy, 15 mpg @ 75 mph just isn't very good.  Costs
         me about $9 / day for gas.  I've decided to delay the purchase
         of a new econo-box, however, since it will only cost me $800
         thru the end of the year to drive the scout, but $2000-$3500 to
         drive a new $20,000 vehicle the same miles (insurance,
         payments, minimal depreciation calculation, etc).
    2.  I've got a 4" lift on it, and some 32" tires.  And, I need to do
         a few more things in order to improve the driveability of this
         lift.
Oh yeah, and I've got two travelalls that are both reliable enough to
easily take on the same challenge - they just get worse gas mileage
10 mpg @ 85 mph, or something around there.  I'd say that a
minimally lifted traveller with non-aggressive tires and tall gear
set sounds to me like the ideal highway IH machine.

On the MSD - actually, mines not broke either! My mechanic
send it to a buddy who had an MSD tester and it tested fine.  I
just didn't want to tell anyone until I actually saw it installed and
working.

On 32" tires: one advantage is that you can put them on a 4" lift and
they shouldn't rub.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II, 304, 3.73s, 32" BFG MT, D300, T-19 Close, Blaster Coil,
                     and MSD 6A someday
1975 Travelall, 392, Dana 60, 3.54, TF727
1974 Travelall, 392, Dana 44s, 3.73s, TF727, NP205, 30" generics