Max RPM vs Max HP

> The sales literature from those years lists the V-304 as having 193
> gross HP at 4400 rpm with 272 lb-ft gross torque at 2800 rpm, so sounds
> like you've got a 304, all right.  A great motor.

Which begs the question:

Why are the IHC max HP stats always given for an RPM that is more than
the "max recommended RPM" or "governed max RPM" figure?

The 304 is said to make 193 brake HP at 4400 RPM in several of my
sources. But, on the very same charts, the "maximum recommended RPM" is
provided as 3900. Go figure.

It is similar with all the IH V-8s. But, the 392s always indicate that a
governor is the RPM limiter. And, I don't think light truck 392s had
governors, did they?

Tom H.